Nationalist Post

The National Post

Reading: Brazilian police say ex-President Bolsonaro had planned to flee to Argentina seeking asylum
Share
Font ResizerAa

Nationalist Post

The National Post

Font ResizerAa
Search
© 2024 NM Media. All Rights Reserved.
World

Brazilian police say ex-President Bolsonaro had planned to flee to Argentina seeking asylum

Admin
Last updated: August 21, 2025 6:40 am
Admin 1 week ago
Share
Brazilian police say ex-President Bolsonaro had planned to flee to Argentina seeking asylum
SHARE
Brazilian police say ex-President Bolsonaro had planned to flee to Argentina seeking asylum

Brasilia: Brazil’s federal police said that messages found on the telephone of embattled former president Jair Bolsonaro showed that at one point he wanted to flee to Argentina and request political asylum, according to documents seen Wednesday by the Associated Press.

Bolsonaro is currently awaiting a Supreme Court ruling about an alleged coup attempt and on Wednesday found out he might face another case as police formally accused him and one of his sons, Eduardo Bolsonaro, of obstruction of justice in connection with his pending trial.

The AP had access to the police investigation, messaging app exchanges, voice messages and reviewed the documents, which were sent to Brazil’s Supreme Court.

Also Read

European postal services suspend shipment of packages to US over import tariffs

Trump nominates Sergio Gor to be next US ambassador to India

Sri Lankan ex-President Ranil Wickremesinghe arrested

The 170-page police report said that Bolsonaro had drafted a request for political asylum from Argentine President Javier Milei’s government dated Feb 10, 2024. Bolsonaro saved the document two days after authorities searched his home and office as part of an investigation into an alleged coup plot.

In a 33-page letter addressed to Milei, Bolsonaro claimed he was being politically persecuted in Brazil.

“I, Jair Messias Bolsonaro, request political asylum from Your Excellency in the Republic of Argentina, under an urgent regime, as I find myself in a situation of political persecution in Brazil and fear for my life,” the former Brazilian leader wrote.

Argentina’s presidential spokesperson did not immediately respond to a request for comment. Bolsonaro did not make comments about the investigation either.

On Feb 12, Bolsonaro reportedly spent two nights at the Hungarian Embassy in Brasília, fueling speculation among critics that he may have been attempting to avoid arrest.

Brazilian federal police investigators also said in their report that Bolsonaro’s decision to ignore precautionary measures established for his house arrest and spread content to his allies “sought to directly hit Brazilian democratic institutions, notably the Supreme Court and even Brazil’s Congress”.

With regards to Wednesday’s obstruction of justice accusations, Eduardo Bolsonaro, a lawmaker who has lived in the United States, said in a statement that he “never aimed at interfering in any ongoing proceedings in Brazil.” He added the conversations with his father that are part of the investigation are “absolutely normal” and its publication has a political bias.

Silas Malafaia, an evangelical pastor who is a staunch ally of Bolsonaro’s, was also targeted by police. He had his passport seized by investigators but was not formally accused of obstruction of justice.

Several messages exchanged between Bolsonaro and his son show their interest in praising US President Donald Trump to affect legal proceedings in Brazil. Last month, Trump imposed 50% tariffs on some Brazilian exports and claimed the trial of the former president was the main reason for his sanctions.

“You won’t have time to reverse the situation if the guy here turns his back on you. Everything here is very touchy, every little thing affects you,” Eduardo Bolsonaro told his father in one of the exchanges.

“In today’s situation, you don’t even need to worry about jail; you won’t be arrested. But I’m afraid things will change here (in the United States). Even inside the White House, there are people telling (Trump): OK, Brazil is gone. Let’s move on’,” Eduardo Bolsonaro said.

Some exchanges also show frictions sauced with expletives between father and son. Eduardo, who moved to the US earlier this year despite holding a seat in Brazil’s congress, calls Bolsonaro “ungrateful” for his efforts to influence the Trump administration in their favor.

Eduardo Bolsonaro also asks his father to “ACT RESPONSIBLY” so he doesn’t have to remain much longer in the US.

You Might Also Like

At least 18 die in Colombia in two attacks attributed to FARC dissidents
At least 18 die in Colombia in two attacks attributed to FARC dissidents
‘Silence emboldens bully’: Chinese envoy slams US tariffs, ‘firmly’ stands with India
‘Silence emboldens bully’: Chinese envoy slams US tariffs, ‘firmly’ stands with India
Putin’s demands for ceasefire: Control over Donbas, no Nato and western troops
Putin’s demands for ceasefire: Control over Donbas, no Nato and western troops
TAGGED:Argentina asylumBrazil politicsBrazilian Supreme Courtcoup attemptDonald TrumpEduardo BolsonaroJair Bolsonaroobstruction of justicepolitical asylum requestPolitical persecution
Share This Article
Facebook Twitter Email Print

You Also Like

Trump wins appeal as $500m civil fraud penalty overturned

Trump wins appeal as $500m civil fraud penalty overturned

By Admin 1 week ago
Russia launches one of its biggest drone, missile attacks this year at Ukraine

Russia launches one of its biggest drone, missile attacks this year at Ukraine

By Admin 1 week ago
US, NATO planners start to craft post-conflict security guarantee options for Ukraine

US, NATO planners start to craft post-conflict security guarantee options for Ukraine

By Admin 2 weeks ago
© 2024 NM Media. All Rights Reserved.
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Lost your password?