Nationalist Post

The National Post

Reading: Pahalgam terror attack: UNSC to discuss India-Pakistan hostilities | Latest updates
Share
Font ResizerAa

Nationalist Post

The National Post

Font ResizerAa
Search
© 2024 NM Media. All Rights Reserved.
World

Pahalgam terror attack: UNSC to discuss India-Pakistan hostilities | Latest updates

Admin
Last updated: May 5, 2025 9:30 am
Admin 4 months ago
Share
Pahalgam terror attack: UNSC to discuss India-Pakistan hostilities | Latest updates
SHARE
Pahalgam terror attack: UNSC to discuss India-Pakistan hostilities | Latest updates

New Delhi: The United Nations Security Council will on Monday hold discussions on the situation between India and Pakistan following the terror attack in Pahalgam. The meeting has been called on a request by Pakistan.

Contents
UNSC meeting on tensions between India-PakistanPakistan violates ceasefire along LoCBlackout drill in Ferozepur Cantt

UNSC meeting on tensions between India-Pakistan

Pakistan is a non-permanent member of the UNSC and Greece has been chosen as the president of the Council for the month of May. Pakistan requested for a “closed door consultation” on the escalating tensions between the 2 countries (India and Pakistan). Following the request the Greek presidency scheduled the meeting for the afternoon of May 5.

Currently Algeria, Denmark, Greece, Guyana, Pakistan, Panama, South Korea, Sierra Leone, Slovenia and Somalia are the non-permanent members of the Security Council. The permanent members include China, Russia, UK, US and France.

Also Read

European postal services suspend shipment of packages to US over import tariffs

Trump nominates Sergio Gor to be next US ambassador to India

Sri Lankan ex-President Ranil Wickremesinghe arrested

The Greek Ambassador Evangelos Sekeris had last week said that if a request comes for a meeting to discuss the situation between India and Pakistan, then, I think this meeting should take place because, as we said, maybe it’s also an opportunity to have views expressed and this might help to diffuse a bit of tension. On a question of India being a victim of cross border terrorism, emanating from Pakistan, he had said, “It’s an issue which is very pertinent.” However he said that the Council condemns any act of terrorism and called the Pahalgam attack “heinous”.

Last week Pakistan’s Permanent Representative to the United Nations Ambassador Asim Iftikhar Ahmad had said at a press conference in the UN that his country has the right to convene a meeting when we feel appropriate.

Pakistan violates ceasefire along LoC

Pakistan continued to violate the ceasefire along the Line of Control on Monday. The violation reported on the intervening night of May 4-5, 2025 was the 11th time that Pakistan troops resorted to unprovoked firing along the international border.

Small arms fire from Pakistan happened in Kupwara, Baramulla, Poonch, Rajauri, Mendhar, Naushera, Sunderbani and Akhnoor in Jammu and Kashmir. The Indian Army responded promptly and effectively to the firing by the Pakistan side. The ceasefire violations started soon after India suspended the Indus Water Treaty following the Pahalgam terror attack.

The attack in Pahalgam left at least 26 people dead. Of those killed 25 were Indian nationals and 1 was from Nepal. Most of those killed by the terrorists were tourists, who had come to visit Kashmir from across India.

Blackout drill in Ferozepur Cantt

Amidst the escalating tensions between India and Pakistan, a 30-minute blackout rehearsal was conducted at Ferozepur Cantonment in Punjab. The drill on Sunday evening comes amidst heightened tensions between India and Pakistan, following the Pahalgam terror attack.

The blackout drill was carried out between 9 pm to 9:30 pm. All lights were turned off in the area, following a siren warning. This blackout was described as a routine preparedness exercise.

Deputy Commissioner Deepshikha Sharma received a request from the Ferozepur Cantonment Board to ensure a total blackout in the area, to effectively carry out the drill. The letter read, “You are requested to ensure adequate security arrangements during this period, given the total blackout. This rehearsal aims to ensure preparedness and effectiveness in implementing blackout procedures during prevailing war threats. Your support and cooperation are crucial in making this exercise successful.”

Sharma requested people to not panic and that the administration is fully prepared to handle the situation. Electricity supply in the cantonment area will be shut from 9 pm to 9:30 pm, she informed.

You Might Also Like

At least 18 die in Colombia in two attacks attributed to FARC dissidents
At least 18 die in Colombia in two attacks attributed to FARC dissidents
‘Silence emboldens bully’: Chinese envoy slams US tariffs, ‘firmly’ stands with India
‘Silence emboldens bully’: Chinese envoy slams US tariffs, ‘firmly’ stands with India
Putin’s demands for ceasefire: Control over Donbas, no Nato and western troops
Putin’s demands for ceasefire: Control over Donbas, no Nato and western troops
TAGGED:IndiameetingMondaynon-permanent memberPahalgamPakistanterror attackTerrorismterroristsUNUNSC
Share This Article
Facebook Twitter Email Print

You Also Like

Trump wins appeal as $500m civil fraud penalty overturned

Trump wins appeal as $500m civil fraud penalty overturned

By Admin 1 week ago
Russia launches one of its biggest drone, missile attacks this year at Ukraine

Russia launches one of its biggest drone, missile attacks this year at Ukraine

By Admin 1 week ago
Brazilian police say ex-President Bolsonaro had planned to flee to Argentina seeking asylum

Brazilian police say ex-President Bolsonaro had planned to flee to Argentina seeking asylum

By Admin 2 weeks ago
© 2024 NM Media. All Rights Reserved.
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Lost your password?